A tankless hot water heater is a device that is installed in both small and large homes for the purpose of instantly heating water as it goes through the device. Tankless water heaters are also known as instant water heaters. They are known for their efficient working as they are only activated when water flows through them and bring it to the desired temperature. The device features special sensory systems and technology that make it more energy-saving than traditional water heaters. The device uses gas or electricity to operate.
They save the cost of storing gallons of water and waiting for it to heat up. Tankless water heaters also take much less space than water storing heaters. The heaters have advanced technology that precisely controls temperature, which makes the machine safe and risk-free as there will be no dangerous temperature changes. All in all, tankless heaters are considered to be a more efficient and safer choice for your house.
Many users have reviewed the device to be highly efficient and that their power bills have reduced by 30-40%. A tankless water heater is surely a big investment, which is why it is essential to make the right choice, particularly if you are buying one for a large home. Following are the five best tankless water heaters for large homes we highly recommend according to your needs.
The Most Advanced: Stiebel Eltron Tempra Plus 24 kW Tankless Water Heater
Steibel Eltron has been a top class water heater manufacturer for about 90 years and excels in the industry. The Stiebel Eltron heater is made up of German technology, which is highly reliable and high quality. The manufacturer promises that the device will save up to 15-20% of your electricity bill.
- The heater is the most advanced and up-to-date model. It has been redesigned inside and out. The device has an accurate and precise temperature setting, which makes it a great replacement for your traditional water heaters.
- The advanced flow control technology also gives the product an edge over other products in the market. This means that when the incoming amount of water increases, the device controls the flow to make sure that water is equally and consistently heated. Other devices may deliver cold water in such a case. Not only does this ensure a steady supply of hot water, but also helps reduce your water bills.
- The installation of the unit is also simple and cheap. However, unless you are aware of the electric system, do not install it yourself. The Stiebel water heater comes with a 7-year warranty, which makes it a good long-term investment. It can provide up to 2-3 outlets in warmer climates and up to 2 outputs in colder climates.
- Advanced in terms of technology, comes with hand sensor touch technology
- Precise temperature control; ensures no temperature fluctuations and a consistent temperature
- Easy installation
- Comes with warranty
- Promises to save energy up to 15-20%; more than most of the tankless heater
- Almost 100% energy efficient
- Flow control technology makes sure that water temperature is consistent
- The investment cost is undoubtedly very high
- Requires a specific flow of water in order to work properly
- May break down or need maintenance after a year of use
- Expensive, along with high installment costs
- The warranty may only cover broken parts and has a short duration (3 years)
- Not good enough for colder climates. Does not work well for already low-temperature water
- The hot water may flow out of the pipes slower than usual
The Most Quiet: Rinnai RL94iN Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater
Rinnai is a famous, top-notch manufacturer of some of the best tankless water heaters for large homes in the market. A variety of different products from Rinnai have a lot to offer. Rinnai has claimed this particular model of water heater to be an extremely quiet unit.
- This model is designed for large homes and commercial purposes. The device heats 9.4-gallon water per minute and is as energy saving as it can be.
- The product uses updated technologies in order to maintain a consistent temperature of water. This model does not use electricity but actually uses natural gas.
- The product can be used for both residential and/or commercial purposes.
- With up to 40% energy saving quality, this Rinnai tankless water heater provides a continuous and constant supply of hot water.
- Comes with a 12-year warranty
- Features an attractive outlook
- Can connect to and supply water to 5 different outlets at one time, with consistent temperature.
- 83% thermal efficiency, meaning it requires lesser energy to heat a larger amount of water
- Makes unnoticeable sound. User reviews suggest that you can barely hear the sound.
- Accurate temperature setting
- Can heat water at a temperature from 95 to 140 degree Fahrenheit.
- Minimum space required
- The flow delay is only 15 to 20 seconds, almost the same as other tankless heaters.
- Energy star qualified makes it a reliable investment
- Isolation valves make maintenance easier
- 40% energy saving
- Installation can be difficult; it needs to be highly accurate in order to get the best out of the product. May require professional installation which can be costly.
- Requires a greater supply of gas than other products
- There have been critical reviews about their warranty and customer service
- Digital controller needs to be purchased separately
- This model is expensive than the others
- Slightly heavier than other models
The Most Energy Efficient: EcoSmart ECO 27 Tankless Water Heater
The one feature of tankless water heaters that makes them better than the rest is their energy saving property. EcoSmart has gone beyond expectations in a short time, creating one of the most innovative, compact and efficient tankless water heaters. If you are looking for the most energy efficient tankless water heater for large homes that will save up to 50% of your energy, EcoSmart ECO 27 is the smartest choice.
- It promises to save up to 50% of energy, and its copper and stainless steel structure allow the product to be long lasting and efficient.
- The product is small and compact and can fit in a small, tight space. With this unit, you no need to waste a lot of space on just a water heater.
- The device also features digital temperature control, making it easier for you to control the temperature. It has a temperature bracket ranging from 80 to 140F.
- Moreover, it features a heating capacity of 6 gallons of water per minute, and can sufficiently provide up to 3-4 outlets in warmer climates.
- The product is highly efficient, only 0.2% of the energy is likely to go to waste
- The copper and stainless steel components increase its durability
- EcoSmart offers a generous lifetime warranty
- Has a large storage space
- Best for people looking for the most energy-saving option in the market
- Consistently provides hot water
- Features self-modulating technology, which means that the device automatically controls the amount of energy needed to be consumed
- Works well for large houses and is able to run multiple applications simultaneously
- Low maintenance; helps save maintenance cost and time
- Digital control allows you precisely control the temperature
- It can handle a large amount of water coming in at a time, making it a powerful unit
- Optimum and safe pressure control
- An eco-friendly and greener option to choose
- The copper components seem to erode very easily. They may have to be replaced, and replacement costs can be high
- Reviews suggest that the product may not last longer than 6-12 months
- Restricted supply of water may be a downside
- Requires a certified electrician or plumber in order for the warranty to remain valid. The lifetime warranty is also only valid for the component or parts of the unit and not the whole system itself. No labor warranty.
The Most Powerful: Rheem RTGH-95DVLN Tankless Water Heater
The Rheem RTGH-95DVLN is a 9.5 GPM tankless water heater. GPM or gallons per minute are used to indicate how much water per minute the heater can easily handle. This product is highly efficient and one of the best tankless water heaters for large homes. The product works just as fine in colder, cooler climates as it does in warmer climates.
- Its components are made up of stainless steel that also increases its durability, making it a good, long-term investment.
- The unit comes with digital remote control, which makes it even easier and user-friendly.
- Manufactured by one of the most known manufacturers, the Rheem RTGH-95DVLN is 94% energy efficient, which is a great value and hard to find in the market.
- The model’s quality and efficiency have been tested by Rheem itself as well other third-parties.
- It comes with a built-in condensate neutralizer that helps make installation easier and cheaper.
- The most powerful in the market. Works great in cold climates and/or high altitudes.
- The product will save up to 15-20%of your electricity bills
- Quality is tested. It is a reliable investment
- Comes with freeze protection technology. Freeze protection refers to a system that does not allow the device’s temperature to go below a certain point, 30F.
- Comes with a great warranty
- Water flow rate is great
- Easy installation
- The purchase of the product can be a little too heavy on your pocket
- Installation may take hours
- Some users have complained about leakage issues
The Most Durable: Sio Green IR260 Tankless Water Heater
The Sio Green IR260 is a no limescale, no algae, no bacteria, and no corrosion technology based heater. Safe to say, it is one of the best tankless water heaters for large homes in the market. The product heats water without the water coming in contact with the metal, which prevents corrosion. It heats the water using infrared quartz element. The product lasts longer and requires no maintenance. There is also no need for regular cleaning and filtering of the product. This will save you time and, of course, money.
- For people who are looking for clean and healthy water along with the efficient water heating system, this is the one for you. Other products may develop a metallic taste in the water. Due to the long-term durability of the product, and its non-corrosion technology, it will also be the best for areas where the water is hard. There will be zero calcium deposits.
- The water flow regulator that comes with the product will allow you to manage water flow and temperature very conveniently. The water flow regulator also ensures that only the amount of water needed is heated, minimizing water and energy wastages. It also offers a reasonable temperature range from 80 to 140 F.
- Most durable with its advanced technology
- Will keep your water clean and free of any metallic taste
- Its compact size can also save space
- Budget-friendly; considering the price of the product along with the numerous features it has to offer, it seems to be a good choice of investment
- Long-term investment
- Easy installation
- Great warranty policy, up to 10 years for quartz element
- Saves maintenance and replacement costs, and your time as this product hardly ever needs cleaning or replacement of parts. Plus, the insides of the product will never wear out.
- Water and electricity bills will stay under control
- Can provide up to 1 showers and 2 sinks in colder climates, and 3 showers and 2 sinks in warmer climates
- One unit may not be big enough for large houses
- Water pressure issues have been reported by reviewers
- There are complaints about the heater breaking down after few uses
- The directions for using the product seem to be insufficient
Wrapping it up, an overview of the best tankless water heaters for large homes suggests that they are definitely a better alternative and an ideal replacement for traditional storage based heaters. This particularly applies to large homes where the cost of hot water is quite high.
Heaters that come with a tank store water while the water is heated. This means the heater is on and operating, consuming energy even when you do not need hot water. You have lesser control over such heaters and may even experience inconvenience due to inconsistent water temperature.
If you want to reduce utility bills, save water and turn to a greener and environment-friendly method of water heating, then our 5 best tankless water heaters for large homes will do the work for you. Do your research, identify your needs, and make the right choice.