In the last one month, I carefully scrutinized 6 most popular smart thermostats for my home on the internet. I installed each of them (some with the help of professionals), tested their special features and also how they performed with the general features expected of a thermostat. At the end of my research. I came out with 3 of the best smart thermostats for apartment.
in my research, I had a special preference for thermostats that worked with Amazon echo or had Alexa voice command.
Also, I chose thermostats that worked for multiple zones within one apartment.
This was just my preference though!
Smart Wifi Thermostat for Home or Apartment Comparison Chart
These were the six thermostats I tested:
- Ecobee 4
- Ecobee 3
- Nest E
- Honeywell lyric T6
- Honeywell Evohome
- Nest learning thermostat
Here’s a summary of the features I tested for and the overall performance of the best smart thermostat for apartment.
|Image||Model||Installation1||Remote Sensor||Motion Sensor/Geofencing||Amazon Alexa command||Design & Appearance||Price||Extra Features||Other Integrations|
|Ecobee 4||Easy||Present (with the purchased thermostat)||Present and works excellently||Outstanding - In-built with Alexa voice service||Sturdy||$$$||Embedded speaker and microphone, mobile device control, full alexa voice service||Works with Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, Microsoft Cortana, SmartThings and IFTTT|
|Honeywell Evohome||Very easy||Available(as remote relays)2||Absent||Works with Amazon devices like the Echo||Tablet-like design||$$$||Mobile device control||none|
|Honeywell Lyric T6||Easy||Available (as remote relays)||Present||Works with Amazon devices like the Echo||Sleek tablet-like design||$$$||Mobile device control||Works with Apple HomeKit and IFTTT|
|Nest Learning Thermostat||Very easy||Available||Present (even uses an advanced motion sensor)||Works with Amazon devices like the Echo||Nice and sleek||$$$||Mobile device control, artificial intelligence||Works with Google Assistant|
|Nest E||Easy||Available||Present||Works with Amazon devices like the Echo||Cool plastic design||$$||Mobile device control, smart control||Works with Google Home.|
|Ecobee 3||Easy||Available||Present and works excellently||Works with Amazon devices like the Echo||Sturdy||$$||Mobile device control||Works with Apple HomeKit, SmartThings, Wink and IFTTT|
(1) How easy the installation could be is based on your familiarity with electrical installation. If you are not familiar with such tasks, you should simply hire a professional installer. However, if you are willing to get your hands busy, like me, you can opt for the several video tutorial on the installation of these products.
(2) The remote relays for these thermostats are installed at the heat triggers of your heater.back to menu ↑
My Top 3 Best Smart Thermostat for Amazon Alexa
After several hours of testing and calling Alexa to initiate some heating tasks, I observed carefully and came out with these top 3 best smart thermostats to use with Amazon Alexa in your apartment. As you will see by the end of this post the criteria I carefully followed to come to this list.
- Ecobee 4
- Nest Learning
- Ecobee 3
Here is a detailed review of the individual thermostats. Going through every detail of their features, functions, and performanceback to menu ↑
Ecobee 4 Review
Ecobee 4 stands at the top of my list because of two reasons:
- Ecobee 4 comes with a remote sensor that you can use in other rooms to monitor the condition and control the heating. If you have more than one extra room, you can purchase extra remote sensors.For other smart thermostats I tested, I had to purchase the remote sensors separately.
- Ecobee 4 has an in-built Alexa voice service! What beats that? You don’t need to have a separate Amazon Echo device! This feature in a smart thermostat is novel with Ecobee 4.Every other smart thermostat I tested required the use of Amazon Echo before I could use the Alexa voice control. You can initiate typical Alexa services like Alexa, play music, Alexa, set a reminder, and many more.
The only unsatisfying thing I observed was the low sound quality that came from the Ecobee 4 speaker, compared to the typical sound from an Amazon Echo. Well, you can’t eat your cake and have it, at least for now.
Let’s talk about other features:
Don’t take my word for it, another user had these to say:
back to menu ↑
I was slow adopting the newer thermostat technology since I always figured it was the epitome of laziness. But setting ranges of comfortable temperature, having all rooms monitored for occupancy, and away mode is great. I love how it knows if I’ve gone to work and adjusts usage. I love how I can go on vacation and if I forgot to turn the whole system off, I can. I’m the type of person that doesn’t need Alexa, but it works. It hears you across the room with the TV on somehow. Now I can yell, Alexa, what channel is the game on and it tells me.
You can also see graphs of usage and average temperatures which is nice to see how much your system is operating. It tells you when you need maintenance. And if you’re hot you just go to the app and change the temperature settings. It’s really easy. Necessary? No. But to me, it’s like getting a universal remote. Just simpler.
Nest Learning Thermostat Review
Reading the reviews of Nest Learning thermostat (3rd gen) got me enticed even before I tested it. I was eager and expected much from it. Every part of it was satisfactory. However, the price is on the high side compared to other thermostats. Not only that, but I also had to purchase the remote sensors differently, and they cost $99 each.
Other Features To Consider:
- Most outstanding of this Nest thermostat is the artificial intelligence feature. I love it! I know some users don’t find it interesting, you just need to give it time. 5 days wasn’t enough to fully enjoy this feature. I re-installed the Nest learning after the 1-month test period and I’m still using it till this moment. If you will enjoy the self-learning feature, you’ll have to be a little patient.
- What the artificial intelligence feature does is that it programs itself daily as it learns your lifestyle. After some time, you might not need to schedule control the temperature again, the thermostat does that itself. Cool, right?
- The multiple zone feature also worked well with the two other remote sensors I had to purchase. Asides setting the temperature of the other rooms to the optimum level, the remote sensor also programmed itself to adapt to the living conditions in those rooms.
- The Nest learning thermostat saved a little more energy compared to the Ecobee4, however, the amount is not so significant, but it’s worth mentioning. The motion sensing and geofencing were outstanding too, one of the reasons I think it saved a little more energy than the Ecobee family.
- The mobile app does a lot of control and it has a very cool and intuitive user interface that made the controlling quite easy. Even when I was away from home, I could monitor and control a lot with the app.
- The Alexa voice command worked seamlessly with my Amazon Echo, I tested a couple of tasks with this and it responded excellently. However, it doesn’t work with any of Apple’s HomeKit (that’s a big blow for Apple product users). But, Google assistant works well with it.
- Rounding this off…The general performance is commendable. At the first installation, it was a little difficult to do (I had to place a call for assistance); however, my second installation was effortless.
Don’t just take my word for it, another user had this to say:
back to menu ↑
The Nest was very easy to set up–this is a thirty-minute job that can be completed by a novice. The install and setup instructions were easy to follow and the wire tags were helpful. The thermostat and App are intuitive to use. The learning Nest has done a great job recognizing my patterns and adjusting my home temperature appropriately. When I deviate from my typical occupancy schedule it is quick and easy to change the home temperature with the Nest App. I also really like that I can control or check my house temperature on my iPhone at any time and from anywhere. The Nest App provides me with a periodic report that is useful in evaluating my energy usage. As a side, I still find it to be amusing and convenient to change the house temperature using Amazon’s Alexa.
Ecobee 3 Review
This Ecobee thermostat made my list to come third place for one major reason:
Ecobee 3 was the most affordable of all the 6 thermostats I tested. It comes at a price of $169 from Ecobee, saving you some tens of Dollars compared to other smart thermostats on this list. A major trade-off for me with this price is the absence of an inbuilt Alexa voice service (like the Ecobee4). Also, this doesn’t come with a remote sensor, I had to purchase them differently.
- Ecobee is a really smart thermostat, if you have not used the Ecobee 4, you will definitely fall in love with this first.
- The remote sensor works great with the thermostat, and the room temperature was optimum throughout the 5 days I tested it.
- Ecobee 3 also performed well with saving energy. It saved me roughly 25-30% energy compared to heating without using a thermostat this was roughly the same outcome I got with the Ecobee 4.
- Just like the Ecobee 4, I easily controlled the settings and even set schedules of my movent to the thermostat using the Ecobee mobile app on my device. Also, it perfectly integrated with Amazon Echo, I tested a couple of tasks with this and it responded seamlessly.
- It is also compatible with Apple HomeKit, (I used my apple watch to control the temperature once). You can also integrate it with your Google Home devices, Samsung SmartThings, and IFTTT, however, I didn’t test these.
Don’t just take my word for it, another user had this to say:
back to menu ↑
Oh my goodness. My recent addiction is a smart home. Looking through Amazon and CNET and I came across this. I actually came across ecobee4, but this is basically the same thing, except without the built-in Alexa. I’m not going to talk to my thermostat anyways, especially when I have an Eco Dot in the room I stay in (living room & bedroom). THIS DOES work with Alexa though, just doesn’t have it built in like an eco.
Anyways, this thing is a huge upgrade to the old thermostat. It looks fantastic, I can change the temperature from my phone or I can ask Alexa “Alexa, ask Ecobee to turn the temp to 76”, I can check the local weather from it, and I can have preset for home/vacation/whatever. It was very quick and easy to install. If you’re going for a smart home, and don’t want to spend $200 – $300 on a thermostat upgrade, I DEFINITELY recommend this. Looks incredible on a wall, and functions amazingly.
Any of these smart alexa-compatible thermostats will definitely work great for your home, they all have great features that are worth every penny you spend.
- If you are on a budget, the Ecobee 3 is your best option.
- If you love to have a great thermostat with an inbuilt Alexa voice service, the Ecobee 4 is a go!
- If you want a smarter home, like me, the nest learning thermostat, third-gen will definitely make you smile.